reto ambühler - a natural born traveller
hope is like a lighthouse keeper's beam,
all is lost if one abandons hope
wenn wir alleine sind im universum,
dann ist das eine ganz schöne platzverschwendung
regular people search with google, smart people find with bing ...
hail the robots, forget the webdesigners !
quick index: cv - ETHZ
- web publishing - WWW
- off duty - specs
search my web pages:
my major duties at the ETH zürich are:
- i'm the so called "technical webmaster" of the ETH zürich. as such, me and my colleagues takes care
of a number of webservers and we maintain applications and services provided via the World Wide Web. we also assist other webmasters inside
the ethz.ch domain if they want to set up their own webserver on any hardware platform.
- if you would like to travel to the U.S. and need
regarding national parks etc., your welc... ups, that's not actually my duty, but i loved it anyway ...
the art of Web publishing:
my fundamental axioms of Web publishing are:
- Web documents shall comply to the standards set by the W3C !
- the strength of Web publishing is actuality, not layout !
- actuality and accuracy are much more important than appearance !
- the Web shall not only provide the freedom for everyone to publish, but also the reader shall have the freedom to enjoy the information the way she or he wants !
- if it is not there, don't mention it !
my thoughts about the art of Web publishing in greater detail.
publications and presentations:
World Wide Web related:
trip reports from the WWW conferences:
- WWW2012 (21st WWW-konferenz in lyon, frankreich, april 2012)
- WWW2011 (20th WWW-konferenz in hyderabad, indien, märz/april 2011)
- WWW2010 (19th WWW-konferenz in raleigh, NC, USA, april 2010)
- WWW2009 (18th WWW conference at madrid, spain, april 2009)
- WWW2008 (17th WWW conference at beijing, china, april 2008)
- WWW2007 (16th WWW conference at banff, canada, may 2007)
- WWW2006 (15th WWW conference at edinburgh, scotland (GB), may 2006)
- WWW2005 (14th WWW conference at chiba, japan, may 2005)
- WWW2004 (13th WWW conference at new york, USA, may 2004)
- WWW2003 (12th WWW conference at budapest, hungary, may 2003)
- WWW2002 (not WWW11, 11th WWW conference at honolulu, hawaii, may 2002)
- WWW10 (10th WWW conference at hong kong, may 2001)
- WWW9 (9th WWW conference at amsterdam, the netherlands, may 2000)
- WWW8 (8th WWW conference at toronto, canada, may 1999)
- WWW7 (7th WWW conference at brisbane, australia, april 1998)
- WWW6 (6th WWW conference at santa clara, USA, april 1997)
- WWW5 (5th WWW conference at paris, france, may 1996)
- 4WWW95 (4th WWW conference at boston, USA, december 1995)
- WWW95 (3rd WWW conference at darmstadt, germany, april 1995)
- WWW94 (1st WWW conference at CERN, geneva, april 1994)
ETHZ system management related (this is no longer my duty):
- WAWONA-Cluster (published in INPUT issue #7)
- APACHEN ! Das erste "general purpose" Computersystem der Informatikdienste mit dem Betriebssyteme DEC UNIX. (published in INPUT issue #6).
- WAWONA ("big tree"), "Das neue Flagschiff der Informatikdienste" (published in INPUT issue #4).
DECUS Switzerland related:
i'm no longer envolved with DECUS (i actually believe there is no need for such an organization anymore), but i had a good time then ...
- trip report DECUS europe symposium 1997 in copenhagen, denmark
- trip report DECUS europe symposium 1996 in barcelona, spain
some of my specifications:
- born: 18-mar-1958 in zürich,
- special characteristics: writes everything in lowercase
- militant non-smoker
- i don't drink any alcoholic beverages, but i do love cherry coke
- most favorite musicians: pink floyd, jimi hendrix, linkin park, nightwish and ten years after
- most favorite place on earth: alaska
- most favorite subject: USA
and especially its national parks !
- most favorite operating system: used to be OpenVMS, but because it was destroyed by Compaq, i fled to Microsoft Windows
!!! Dieses Dokument stammt aus dem ETH Web-Archiv
und wird nicht mehr gepflegt !!!
!!! This document is stored in the ETH Web archive
and is no longer maintained !!!