WWW6: tracking the Web
jim pitkow of the Graphics,
Visualization & Usability (GVU) center of the
Georgia Institute of Technology presented
very interesting statistical information about the Web usage.
in my opinion, these are some of the most interesting facts and figures:
- 30 millions people in the U.S. have used the Internet in 1996, 60 millions "feel"
they have access to the Internet
- people at the age of 20-30 years use the Internet most
- in 1994, only 5% of the Internet users were female, it is now more than 30%
in late 1996
- the primary use of the Web is "browsing", followed by "entertainment",
"education" and "work".
- Web users are mostly concerned about the following issues: "censorship",
"privacy" and "navigation".
- almost 50% of all Web users feel "more connected" since they
started to use the Internet.
the complete presentation is
on the Web.
since 1994, the GVU of the Georgia Tech conducts two
surveys per year. the results are
available on the Web.
to the WWW6 trip report main
09-may-1997 (ra) /