4WWW95: HTTP V1.x
just as a reminder: HTTP stands for HyperText Transfer Protocol.
this was the first implementation of HTTP and is currently supported by virtually all popular WWW servers. this is the current standard !
this version will basically put together the current practices.
this version will support the following features:
- wildcards in URLs
- two phase puts for transaction type data transfer
- new functions: copy, move and delete
- new status codes
- new header fields to support:
- cache control
- persistant connections
- forwarding to make proxies and gateways visible
- upgrade to switch between application protocols
- range to allow downloading of only a part of a document
- proxy authentication
a proposal for this standard is expected in january 1996.
back to 4WWW95 main document.
4WWW95 HTTP V1.x /
08-jan-96 (ra) /